The West Lake Landfill Superfund Site is located in Bridgeton, Mo. The site consists of several inactive landfills, including the West Lake Landfill and the Bridgeton Landfill. Originally used for agriculture, the land became a limestone quarrying and crushing operation in 1939. Beginning in the early 1950s, portions of the quarried areas and adjacent areas were used to dispose of municipal refuse, industrial solid wastes, and construction/demolition debris. In 1973, around 8,700 tons of leached barium sulfate from the Manhattan Project, a World War II nuclear bomb development program, was mixed with approximately 38,000 tons of soil and used to cover trash being dumped during daily operations.
In 1990, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency listed the site on the National Priorities List under the Comprehensive Environmental, Response, Compensation and Liability Act of 1980 (Superfund law). The Agency listed the entire 200-acre facility and has since designated multiple Operable Units at the site to manage various areas and environmental media. Operable Unit 1 (OU-1) contains radiologically-impacted material (RIM). Operable Unit 2 (OU-2) does not contain radiological material. Operable Unit 3 (OU-3) will address site-wide groundwater.
The adjacent Bridgeton Landfill, which is a part of OU-2, is part of the Superfund Site, but remains under the regulatory authority and oversight of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources.